Sunday, January 18, 2015

Eternity, The Subway


"Eternity"


My Top Photos of All Time #5 

This section of the Subway is very special to me. I have spent many summer days here waiting and watching as the light dances across the canyon walls.  My first introduction to Zion, was traversing the Subway in the early 1990s.  It was an experience that left a big impression on the rest of my life.

This particular day I started hiking about 4:30 am to ensure I had plenty of time to watch the light play. The year I shot this, the spring runoff flushed all of the infamous sand out of the canyon leaving pristine conditions. Most years the canyon is plagued with deep sand filling many of the deep pools that turn a nice emerald green when empty.  

Very little foot traffic passes through the upper portions of the Subway, in comparison to the Virgin River narrows. So the peace and solitude is very nice with just an occasional rowdy group passing through.

After I captured this image the hike out began on the 100+ degree day! Those that know me, know that I am very fast hiker. My average time exiting the Subway is about 1 hour and 30 minutes, of course I pack light with only essential gear and equipment. This is also one of the main reasons I hike solo.

I have recently become disappointed with the popularity and the difficulty to enjoy such an amazing place.  It is becoming much like the world famous Wave and many Grand Canyon hiking permits. I guess this is the price we pay to minimize the impact of these places!


Here is information on the Subway permit System:


 Here is a hiking guide for the Subway:


No comments:

Post a Comment